- Typically, people will spill the beans to someone else in less than two hours after receiving the secret.
- Four in ten would repeat the secret no matter how sensitive or intimate the subject was.
- Boyfriends, husbands, best friends and mothers were most likely to be initial recipients of the information.
- No matter how precious the piece of information, it’s often out in the public domain via the computer in some form within 24 hours. Permanently out in the world-wide web with no way to delete it.
- Nine in ten women (30 – 65) deem themselves trustworthy – but they still spill the secret as quickly as anyone.
- The study found that the average man or woman hears three pieces of gossip each week, and will pass it on to at least one other person.
- Three in ten ‘have the urge’ to reveal secrets, with nearly half telling another to ‘simply get it off their chest’.
- Religious background made no difference in the frequency of sharing the secret.
- However, two-thirds end up feeling guilty after spilling the beans.
- Three quarters of men claim they are capable of keeping quiet about a secret, and 83 per cent consider themselves 100 per cent trustworthy.
- More than six in ten people think it is acceptable to share a friend’s secret with someone who does not know them.
- Over 40 per cent saying their husband is their ultimate confidante.
- Intimate issues, true cost of purchases and affairs emerged top of the secret-sharing list.
- I affirm my belief in one God, infinite Spirit, Creator, and Sustainer of all things, who exists eternally in three persons, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. These three are one in essence but distinct in person and function.
- I affirm that the Father is the first person of the Trinity and the source of all that God is and does. From Him the Son is eternally generated and from Them the Spirit eternally proceeds. He is the Designer of creation, the Speaker of revelation, the Author of redemption, and the Sovereign of history.
- I affirm that the Lord Jesus Christ is the second person of the Trinity, eternally begotten from the Father. He is God. He was conceived by the virgin Mary through a miracle of the Holy Spirit. He lives forever as perfect God and perfect man: two distinct natures inseparably united in one person.
- I affirm that the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity, proceeding from the Father and the Son and equal in deity. He is the giver of all life, active in the creating and ordering of the universe; He is the agent of inspiration and the new birth; He restrains sin and Satan; and He indwells and sanctifies all believers.
- I affirm that all things were created by God. Angels were created as ministering agents, though some, under the leadership of Satan, fell from their sinless state to become agents of evil. The universe was created in six historical days and is continuously sustained by God; thus it both reflects His glory and reveals His truth. Human beings were directly created, not evolved, in the very image of God. As reasoning moral agents, they are responsible under God for understanding and governing themselves and the world.
- I affirm that the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, though written by men, was supernaturally inspired by God so that all its words are the written true revelation of God; it is therefore inerrant in the originals and authoritative in all matters. It is to be understood by all through the illumination of the Holy Spirit, its meaning determined by the historical, grammatical, and literary use of the author’s language, comparing Scripture with Scripture.
- I affirm that Adam, the first man, willfully disobeyed God, bringing sin and death into the world. As a result, all persons are sinners from conception, which is evidenced in their willful acts of sin; and they are therefore subject to eternal punishment, under the just condemnation of a holy God.
- I affirm that Jesus Christ offered Himself as a sacrifice by the appointment of the Father. He fulfilled the demands of God by His obedient life, died on the cross in full substitution and payment for the sins of all, was buried, and on the third day He arose physically and bodily from the dead. He ascended into heaven where He now intercedes for all believers.
- I affirm that each person can be saved only through the work of Jesus Christ, through repentance of sin and by faith alone in Him as Savior. The believer is declared righteous, born again by the Holy Spirit, turned from sin, and assured of heaven.
- I affirm that the Holy Spirit indwells all who are born again, conforming them to the likeness of Jesus Christ. This is a process completed only in Heaven. Every believer is responsible to live in obedience to the Word of God in separation from sin.
- I affirm that a church is a local assembly of baptized believers, under the discipline of the Word of God and the lordship of Christ, organized to carry out the commission to evangelize, to teach, and to administer the ordinances of believer’s baptism and the Lord’s table. Its offices are pastors and deacons, and it is self-governing. It functions through the ministry of gifts given by the Holy Spirit to each believer.
- I affirm that the return of Christ for all believers is imminent. It will be followed by seven years of great tribulation, and then the coming of Christ to establish His earthly kingdom for a thousand years. The unsaved will then be raised and judged according to their works and separated forever from God in hell. The saved, having been raised, will live forever in heaven in fellowship with God.
Have you felt the “tug” of God on your heart? Becoming a Christian is one of the most important steps you will take in your life on earth.
This call to salvation begins with God. He initiates it by drawing us to come to Him.
- John 6:44
“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him …”
- Revelation 3:20
“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in …”
Human Efforts are Futile
God desires an intimate relationship with us, but we cannot obtain it through our own efforts.
- Isaiah 64:6
“All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags…”
- Romans 3:10-12
“…There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”
Separated by Sin
We have a problem. Our sin separates us from God, leaving us spiritually empty.
- Romans 3:23
“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
It is impossible for us to find peace with God through our own efforts. Anything we try to do to obtain God’s favor or gain salvation is worthless and futile.
A Gift from God
Salvation then, is a gift from God. He offers the gift through Jesus, his Son. By laying down his life on the cross, Christ took our place and paid the ultimate price, the penalty for our sin — death. Jesus is our only way to God.
- John 14:6
“Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.”
- Romans 5:8
“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Responding to God’s Call
The only thing we must do is respond to God’s call.
But how? How do I become a Christian?
Receiving God’s gift of salvation is not complicated. The response to God’s call is explained in these simple steps found in God’s Word:
1) Admit you are a sinner and turn away from your sin.
- Acts 3:19 says: “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.”
Repent literally means “a change of mind that results in a change of action.” To repent, then, means to admit you are a sinner. You change your mind to agree with God that you are a sinner. The resulting “change in action” is, of course, the turning away from sin.
2) Believe Jesus Christ died on the cross to save you from your sins and give you eternal life.
- John 3:16 says: “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.”
Believing in Jesus is also a part of repenting. You change your mind from unbelief to belief, which results in a change of action.
3) Come to Him by faith.
- In John 14:6 Jesus said: “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.”
Faith in Jesus Christ is a change of mind that results in a change of action—coming to him.
4) You may pray a simple prayer to God.
You may want to make your response to God a prayer. Prayer is simply communicating with God. Pray using your own words. There is no special formula. Just pray from your heart to God, and believe that he has saved you. If you feel lost and just don’t know what to pray, here’s a prayer of salvation you can pray.
I admit that I am a sinner. I have done many things that don’t please you. I have lived my life for myself. I am sorry and I repent. I ask you to forgive me. I believe that you died on the cross for me, to save me. You did what I could not do for myself. I come to you now and ask you to take control of my life, I give it to you. Help me to live every day in a way that pleases you. I love you, Lord, and I thank you that I will spend all eternity with you.
So there you have it. My secret. To those of you that were expecting more I am sorry. I am also sorry that I have not been a better example to my family, friends and co-worker of what Christ has done in me. I want to be a better example and I do not ever want to apologize again for my faith.
If you would like to talk more about my secret, I would be happy to do that with you. Just send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will respond.
And remember, it’s only a secret until you tell somebody. Share the testimony of what Jesus Christ has done for you.
” For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory, and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.” Luke 9:26