I’m well into my 50’s, and I’ve made more than my fair share of mistakes in my life. I have learned tremendously from each and every mistake that I have done. I guess that is why they call them a “life lesson”. The truth is that I was pretty naive back then. I really needed someone to give me advice on what life was going to bring. This thing called “life” has kicked me around for a few years and there have been times that I have told myself, “I wish I didn’t know now, what I didn’t know then”.
But that is not how it works. Through many of these “Life Lessons” I have learned important things and hopefully I can share just a few things that I have learned over these past thirty or forty years that may help someone else who will journey down the path of this thing called ‘life”.
So what have I learned? What have I discovered to be true? Let’s take a look and see what I did not know back then…but know it to be true today…
For example, I did not know back then that…
- No One Really cares how many points you scored in Basketball during your High School career.
- You will NOT really stay “best friends” to those whom you considered such back then. In most cases you have no idea where they are at today.
- Just because your Mom says you are good at something doesn’t make it true. It is their job to tell you that.
- Life is Short…but I didn’t have to rush to make decisions.
- 55% of all marriages fail. Christian or Not.
- If you don’t have the money to pay cash for it, don’t buy it.
- It’s 10 times easier to fall in love than to stay in love.
- No matter what the sad songs say about romance, broken hearts do mend.
- WANT is NOT NEED
- What your significant other does that bothers you when you are dating …they will DO in EXCESS after you’re married.
- Plans are just that…they rarely become reality.
- Great parents can have rotten kids and rotten parents can have great kids.
- Things change…most times you have no control over them.
- Almost no one stretches, flosses or gives compliments often enough.
- You cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved.
- It’s better to sing off-key than not to sing at all.
- You can do something in an instant that brings heartache for life.
- You can’t win arguing with police officers or referees.
- Writing can ease the pain.
- Most people you knew that were really going to make something of themselves…never do.
- Your education isn’t complete until you’ve learned to take a hint.
- Continuing to play in games after being hurt in high school would come back and haunt me later in life. It really didn’t matter then and it definitely doesn’t matter now. Just ask the pins in my shoulder that hold it together.
- It isn’t enough to be forgiven by others. You have to learn to forgive yourself.
- People you care about the most are always taken for us way too soon.
- Most secrets we find out about in life, should have remained secrets.
- Two people can look at the same exact thing and see two totally different things.
- No matter how much I tried to protect my children, they will still get hurt and you get hurt in that process as well.
- Promptness shows respect.
- No matter what I have learned, I still have a lot more to learn.
- Whatever your passion, pursue it as though your days were numbered. Because they are.
- Life Changes.
Now I know that this is a really short list. There is much more to write down. The realty is that I have learned more than I could ever put down on paper but that is the great thing about life…you are never too old to learn a “life lesson” and knowing the truth in that “life changes”.
What have you learned and would like to share?